What’s Going On: Coup In Burkina Faso, Uganda Confirms Another Ebola Death & More
Notable headlines from around the continent
Notable headlines from around the continent
“What’s Going On” Tallies Notable News Headlines From Across The Continent — The Good, The Bad, And The Horrible — As A Way Of Ensuring That We All Become A More Sagacious African Generation. With This Column, We’re Hoping To Disseminate The Latest Happenings In Our Socio-Political Climate From Across The Continent, Whilst Starting A Conversation About What’s Important For Us To All Discuss. From Political Affairs To Socio-Economic Issues, ‘What’s Going On’ Will Discuss Just That.
The Ugandan health ministry has confirmed Nabisubi Margaret, an anaesthetic officer, as the fourth medical worker to die of Ebola. The country’s health minister Jane Ruth Aceng revealed that the 58-year-old woman passed on in the early hours of Tuesday at Fort Portal Hospital after battling the disease for 17 days.
I regret to announce the passing of another Health worker, Ms. Nabisubi Margaret, an anesthetic officer. The 58 year old succumbed to Ebola at 4.33am this morning at Fort Portal Hospital (JMedic) after battling the disease for 17 days.
— Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng Ocero (@JaneRuth_Aceng) October 5, 2022
Two weeks ago, Uganda declared an Ebola outbreak when a 24-year-old man died from the virus in Mubende district in central Uganda. There have been 43 confirmed cases since the outbreak and 10 of these have died. While treating the first confirmed case, a medical team voiced their concerns about not having enough personal protective gear. Since then, three deaths among medics have been confirmed: a Tanzanian medical student (who was part of the team), a health assistant and a midwife.
On Tuesday, the European Union (EU) mobilised 200,000 euros to help the Ugandan Red Cross tackle the outbreak. Neighbouring countries such as Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Somalia are on the alert to prevent the possible spread of the virus.
Last Friday, Burkina Faso’s Capt Ibrahim Traoré became the latest military officer in the country after overthrowing former president Lt-Col Paul-Henri Damiba. This is the second coup in Burkina Faso under nine months after Damiba led a coup against Roch Marc Christian Kaboré and seized power in January. The 34-year-old Traoré is the youngest head of state in Africa, joining Guinea’s Col Mamady Doumbouya ( born in 1980) and Mali’s Col Assimi Goïta (born in 1983).
In a recording, Lt-Col Damiba wished Capt Ibrahim Traoré success in his tenure. He has gone to neighbouring Togo after Capt Traoré agreed to meet his conditions. On his part, Capt Traoré has urged cabinet ministers to tackle urgent problems. He has also pledged to improve security in a nation living in fear of militants.
Capt Traoré is said to have been a shy but intelligent boy in school. He joined the army in 2009 and received artillery training in Morocco. He served in a UN force in the northern Timbuktu region of Mali, where he fought against jihadists. He also participated in a military operation codenamed Otapuanu in Burkina Faso for seven months. He also served in a detachment of Markoye in the northern Sahel region and took part in several operations.
The South African police, on Monday, confirmed the murder of a German tourist by gunmen near the Kruger National Park. The victim and three other German tourists were driving to the Mdluli Safari lodge when their car was intercepted. According to the police’s investigations, the gunmen demanded that the driver open the doors but instead he locked them and was shot. He died on the spot. The gunmen then fled the scene in their car.
Christopher Schmidt, the representative of the German embassy in South Africa, said that the embassy is in touch with local authorities and the German tourists affected in the attack. South Africa’s minister of tourism Lindiwe Sisulu offered her condolences to the families and friends of the tourist killed in the incident while also condemning the assailants and calling for their arrest and prosecution.
The Kruger National Park is one of the largest game reserves in Africa and covers an area of 20,000 square kilometres that stretches into neighbouring countries Zimbabwe and Mozambique.
— Dept of Tourism (@Tourism_gov_za) October 4, 2022
The Moroccan police have arrested 20 people after violence broke out at L’Boulevard, a major urban music festival in Casablanca, Morocco on Friday. According to multiple accounts by festivalgoers, the event, which was held in a stadium, descended into mayhem when a section of the audience began acts of violence and vandalism, resulting in sexual assaults and the rape of a minor.
Just saw the most horrifying videos from a “festival” in Casablanca (l’boulevard”). People getting beat up, splashed with chlorhydrique acid, some even slashed with machetes?! What the fuck is that all about? Some people ought to be held RESPONSIBLE for all of this!
— wt (@akihsus) September 30, 2022
In a statement released on Monday, Morocco’s national police department (DGSN) denied the allegations of sexual assault committed during the event. They said the 20 people arrested committed acts ranging from theft to assault and battery to “drunkenness on the public road.”
In an Instagram post, the organisers of the festival said that “the association of Art and Culture EAC-L’Boulevard is taking seriously the online posts alleging that rape crimes took place during the festival on Friday, September 30,” and that for “the time being, the association is taking the necessary legal steps and following the due process for such cases to launch an official investigation.”
L’Boulevard, founded in 1999, is a free annual music festival intended to celebrate Moroccan artists in the rap, metal and fusion scenes.
Fans of Indonesian football club Arema FC and local communities held a mass prayer outside Kanjuruhan stadium, in Malang, East Java, where at least 125 people were killed in one of the deadliest disasters in football history.
A stampede occurred at the stadium over the weekend when agitated Arema FC supporters invaded the pitch after the final whistle after losing 3 – 2 to visiting side Persebaya Surabaya. Police officers fired tear gas in an attempt to disperse agitated supporters but the scuffle continued, resulting in the officers being attacked and their cars vandalised. The stampede worsened when fans tried to rush out through the exit gate, with many people being trampled upon, losing consciousness or sustaining injuries.
On Tuesday, Indonesia’s football association banned two officials from Arema FC for life over the disaster and fined the club 250 million rupiah ($16,000).
Featured image credits/